Happy Birthday to…Me!
Tomorrow is the big 3-7! Yes, I was born on April Fool’s Day. And, no, I’m not joking.
I toyed with the idea of writing a warm, touchy-feely post; you know, one of those letters to my younger self. But when I tried, I realized that while I am a bit wiser than I was in my elementary school years (thank God), there are still a lot of things I’m trying to figure out.
So, I bring you this list instead…
- I was born on a Friday. (Granted, this is more of a vague recollection than a memory since it happened so long ago.)
- I spent my 9th birthday on holiday with my mom and dad in Jamaica. The trip was awesome…save for the jerk waiter at our hotel who practically interrogated my parents after he realized that the birthday cake he brought to our table was for little ‘ol me: “How could you do that to her?! Courtney is a name for a BOY.” I have since learned that, yes, Courtney is in Jamaica what Michael is here in the US. But, back then, his words hurt my feelings. What an ass, that guy.
- For my 16th birthday, my parents rented out the largest room of our city’s Parks & Recreation building, which played host to the best party a girl could ask for. No, it wasn’t on the level of MTV’s My Sweet Sixteen; there were no flame throwers or caged animals, and I didn’t have a white Bentley adorned with a huge red bow waiting for me at the end of the night. But I did have one kick-ass DJ, two dress changes, and the company of my closest family and friends. (A week later, I got a used Ford Mustang, which I thought was the bee’s knees.)
- On the day I turned 32, I came home from work to find a masseuse, whom Scott had hired to give me a 1-hour Swedish massage. Later that evening, Scott surprised me yet again with a bottle of wine he had created – complete with a customized label and everything – at Vintner’s Canton Winery. I still have the bottle on display in our nook.
- On my 27th birthday, I auditioned for the role of a party-goer in a television commercial for Detroit’s Greektown Casino. I know it sounds all hocus-pocus, but I felt lucky that day…and I did get the part.
- While riding my bike to a nearby park on the morning of my 12thbirthday, I happened upon a brown paper bag on a lone stretch of sidewalk. The fact that I stopped and opened said bag and didn’t automatically think it was a bomb or something and begin peddling in the opposite direction is a huge sign of the times. Come to find, the bag contained $17 in rolled pennies. I thought I was rich. This, too, is yet another sign of the times.
- Since last year’s birthday fell on the day after Easter, my family and I actually celebrated my birthday on Easter – right after brunch. Believe me when I say that this was the absolute best scenario an always-hungry pregnant lady could ask for: Right after I stuffed myself like a glutton on French toast with whipped butter, applewood smoked bacon, and a made-to-order omelet with fresh asparagus, I dove into a gourmet yellow cake – you know, the good kind with sugar flowers and buttercream icing.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but all I know is that cake had better be involved.
What is your fondest birthday memory?
If you enjoyed this post, please take a moment to "like" me on Facebook, which may help me sleep better at night (I'm getting desperate at this point). Facebook, however, doesn't care about my insomnia because they are now making fan pages (including blogs like The Brown Girl with Long Hair) PAY if we want our fans to read what we post. Me can't do that. So if you want to stay current on posts, please enter your e-mail address underneath the "Never Miss a Post" box located mid-way down on the right side of this page OR become a follower of this blog via Google Friends Connect by clicking the blue Join This Site button near the top right side of this page. Thank You!