Random Acts of Kindness Day -- which fell on Tuesday, February 17 this year -- is an unofficial holiday increasingly celebrated around the world in an effort to encourage acts of kindness.
And this day certainly did not go unnoticed by the Detroit Lions.
The Hubs (Scott; #76) and several of his fellow Detroit Lions alumni made a special trip to visit and brighten the day of cancer patients at Henry Ford Hospital as part of the Game On Cancer initiative, which is a joint effort between the Detroit Lions and Henry Ford’s Josephine Ford Cancer Institute to raise funds for cancer research and patient experiences.
Here are five random facts about the Lion's visit on Tuesday*:
1. The Lions' mascot, Roary, was there to join in on the fun. (Side note: Did you know that this cat's got his own Facebook page? He does. Because he's cool like that.)
Here he is with Henry Ford medical doctors:
2. Cancer patient Ella Mays was laying under her own Detroit Lions blanket (presumably one that she brought from home) when the Lion players arrived to her room. Scott asked Ms. Mays if she would like it signed, and when she said, "Certainly!" And they did so:
3. Tuesday's visit was designed to lift the spirits of everyone at Henry Ford Hospital -- including the staff, who work tirelessly to provide care and comfort for patients every single day. The oncology team and caregivers at the infusion unit were just two of the departments that the players visited:
4. Lions players are required to wear their football jerseys during volunteer appearances such as these, and the jerseys are provided by the Detroit Lions organization:
5. Unbeknownst to the players, this event would be covered by WDIV-TV Local 4, Detroit's NBC television affiliate. It was also a surprise to our daughter, Kennedy, who, while playing restaurant with her big brother, looked up and saw Daddy on TV. (From left, Herman Moore (#84), Pete Chryplewicz (#81), Channel 4 reporter Paula Tutman, and The Hubs.):
*A VERY heartfelt thank you to Henry Ford Hospital for providing the lovely photos for this post!
Thanks for visiting! Now hop on over and give us a shout on Facebook!